Northpoint Fleurieu (Northpoint) is strongly committed to protecting your privacy when you interact with us, our online content, products and services.
Sometimes we use information that you provide to us about yourself to customise your customer experience. We do this to improve your satisfaction with our products and services. In providing our services to you, Northpoint will be transparent about how and why we collect and use your information. In some cases, if you do not want us to collect or use your information in a particular way, then we will give you the opportunity to say so.
- the kind of information Northpoint may collect about you, how we collect it, and how we use it
- how we may disclose that information
- how you can access the information we hold about you
- when we may use your information to contact you
- the protection of your personal information
This policy applies only to Northpoint. It does not apply to any other company or organisation, including those whose digital services have links to Northpoint content or services. Third party services which have links to Northpoint content or services will govern the use of personal information you submit to them.
Northpoint will review this policy regularly, and may update it from time to time. If we make changes, we will post those changes on the privacy page of Northpoint's website.
2. Collection and Use of Personal Information
2.1 Why we collect personal information
We will only collect information where it is reasonably necessary to do so for the conduct of our business.
Northpoint collects personal information about you:
- because you have provided it to us, for instance if you contact us to make comments, complaints or to ask us questions, or you have interacted with one of our services
- because we need it to provide a product or service that you have requested, for instance, if you subscribe to an email list or loyalty program, enter a competition, or purchase products or services from Northpoint;
- because you work for us, were a previous employee or apply to us for a job or work experience;
- for purposes directly related to any of the above.
2.2 The kinds of personal information that we collect and hold may include:
- contact information, including postal and residential addresses, telephone and facsimile numbers and email addresses;
- information about your occupation and employer;
- billing and credit card information;
- government issued identifiers, such as Tax File Numbers, and Australian Business Numbers; and
- other relevant personal information relating to our employees such as health information and criminal history.
2.3 Data we collect that tracks your activity
Northpoint automatically gathers information to monitor the use of its digital services like the numbers and frequency of visitors to our websites.
This information helps us improve our services by learning what our clients use and don't use. It can also help us identify if there are any problems with our services that need fixing.
This data is usually collected using 'cookies'. 'Cookies' are small files that are stored on your browser.
Most of the data we collect is aggregated, and this information is effectively anonymous to us.
As well as helping to improve our services, we may use this data to provide recommendations that you might find helpful based on your activity. In some cases, a digital profile may be formed based on your activity.
Though surveys usually collect aggregate data, we will make it clear to you if any survey information is being collected in a way that could personally identify you.
Northpoint will comply with the "notifiable data breach scheme" under the guidelines of the Privacy Act 1988. This requires any organisation that is subject to the Privacy Act 1988 to notify the Federal Information Commissioner and affected parties when there is a relevant data breach.
3. Disclosure of personal information to third parties
3.1 Disclosure of personal information to third parties
Northpoint may disclose your personal information to third parties for the following purposes:
- to provide the service you wish to use;
- for research purposes relating to the performance, quality, maintenance and improvement of Northpoint's services and products;
- to customise and promote Northpoint services which may be of interest to you;
- to provide technical support to you to use Northpoint's services;
- if permitted or required by law; or
- otherwise with your consent.
Northpoint may be assisted by third parties to deliver the services offered by Northpoint.
In many cases, Northpoint imposes contractual restrictions equivalent to those imposed on Northpoint under the Privacy Act in respect of collection and use of personal information by those third parties. In some cases, such as social media networks, Northpoint's ability to impose contractual restrictions is limited.
These third parties may be located in Australia or overseas locations.
Northpoint may disclose your personal information (excluding sensitive information about you) to third parties for the purposes of direct marketing Northpoint’s services. Northpoint will obtain your specific consent to disclose sensitive information for the purposes of direct marketing Northpoint's services. You will be able to opt-out of direct marketing at any time if you so choose.
3.2 Information that you disclose publicly
Northpoint provides content and services on a range of platforms with interactive features that you can contribute to e.g. Facebook and Twitter.
When using digital services, we suggest that you use your discretion and exercise caution when providing your personal information. For instance, if you “share” information from the Northpoint website using a social media tool, it is likely that you will be sharing your personal information.
Note that whenever you post personal information in publicly accessible places, such as chat rooms or message boards, this information becomes available to anyone with access to the internet. This information can be collected and used by others. In short, if you post personal information (such as your contact details) online, you may receive unwanted messages from other parties in return. Therefore, we recommend that you refrain from posting any information that you do not want seen in these public areas.
Ultimately, you are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your passwords and/or any personal information. Be responsible whenever you are online or using a digital service.
4. Accessing your Personal Information
You have the right to request access to personal information that is held by Northpoint about you. Requests for access will be dealt with by Northpoint in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 1982.
You also have the right to request the correction of any of your personal information that Northpoint holds. Northpoint will take reasonable steps to make appropriate corrections to personal information so that it is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
To seek access to, or correction of, your personal information please contact Northpoint as follows:
- By email: email@example.com
- By phone: (08) 8261 4877
- By mail: Northpoint Privacy Contact Officer 485 North East Rd, Hillcrest South Australia 5086
5. Use of your Personal Information to Contact You
We will never knowingly send you unsolicited commercial electronic messages. More information on the Spam Act 2003 is available from the regulator's website: www.acma.gov.au/spam
We may use information that we know about your likes and interests to tell you about other Northpoint products and services when you are online. We may know about your likes and interests because you have provided that information, for instance via a social media platform, or because we have inferred this based on your browsing history, or other data related to your behaviour on Northpoint digital services.
6. Personal of your Personal Information
Northpoint will take all reasonable and practicable steps to ensure that your personal information is properly protected from misuse or loss, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We will generally hold personal information in physical records, records on our servers and in some cases records on third party servers which may be located overseas.
We encourage you to be vigilant about the protection of your own personal information when using third party digital services (such as social media platforms). As far as reasonably practicable, we will make sure that our relationships with those third parties include appropriate protection of your privacy.
7. Privacy Complaints and Enquiries
Northpoint welcomes feedback about privacy issues and will attend to all questions and complaints promptly. You can contact Northpoint about any privacy issues as follows:
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By phone: (08) 8261 4877
- By mail: Northpoint Privacy Contact Officer Northpoint Toyota 485 North East Rd Hillcrest, South Australia 5086
If Northpoint takes more than 30 days to respond to your privacy complaint, or if you are dissatisfied with the outcome, you can make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner at the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
The OAIC can be contacted on 1300 363 992 or at www.oaic.gov.au.